Pages

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

How to Be with someone in The RAW moments...(God doesn't give you more than you can Handle part 2)


Ok, well the next post finally...
Back to the SUBJECT OF- God doesn't give us more than we can handle-this is a follow up to the above post- if you didn't read the first one this will make more sense if you go back to it first.

Please never use that when someone in in greif.....As a hospice nurse for years I learned that when someone is in a RAW worst moment of their life, platitudes like
--God doesn't give us more than we can handle--
and others often used ARE SO THE WRONG THING....
Ever wondered what to do, what to say???
NOTHING. Yes, NOTHING.
YOU LISTEN. and LISTEN.
ask questions that only allow them to talk. 
JUST BE There in THE RAW EMOTION with them.
Its ok to cry with them.
My formula is generally LISTEN, LISTEN...ask if I can read some scripture and PRAY...and my prayer generally only focuses on asking GOD to wrap his arms around them, that they may feel his presence, that He will bring strength and PEACE than may only come from HIM....thats it.....


its hard to just listen...I am a fixer. I just am.
It was hard to learn to step back, to not try and give comforting words, thoughts...to not "FIX". God taught me through HOSPICE to just BE THERE, to listen, even cry with, and to always offer to pray and read HIS WORD. Even those clients that were non believers almost always said yes that I could pray with them.


and now where I am, living with this "invisible illness"-fibromyalgia. I often get platitudes.
People either don't believe it...or they care, want to help, mean well but don't know what to say. I am living it from the other side a bit now...and I am not used to it yet. Its hard to be hurt, its hard when people don't understand, are ignorant or rude, even mean...

BUT...in the questioning, the wrestling with God I am learning, I am growing in HIM, in my walk with Him...and thats what this life is all about- my sanctification process, learning to Walk with FAITH, to act Justly, Love MERCY and Walk HUMBLY with my God. Learning to be THANKFUL in EVERYTHING, to FIND JOY IN EVERYTHING...I truly am learning these thing and can be thankful "even in".....

ok long post.... Just something I am passionate about  and as  I wrestle, I write...its just how I work...I felt called to post this one, to share my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment